Dames Book Scholarship
The UM Dames Book Scholarship is awarded each year to one of the University Scholars to defray costs of their course materials.
2021-2022: Ansley Brown, a junior from Johns Creek, Georgia, majoring in communication sciences and disorders.
Q&A with Ansley:
- Ansley, tell us about yourself! Where were you raised, where you’ve lived, how many siblings you have, etc. – whatever you want to share!
- I am from Johns Creek, Ga, born and raised where my family lives. I have an older brother, three dogs, and a cat! I am a senior here at Ole Miss pursuing my undergraduate degree in Communication Sciences & Disorders.
- What will this scholarship help you do?
- This University Dames Scholarship will help my family and me reduce my college financial burden. This scholarship will help me purchase books and supplies for this semester, and I greatly appreciate it.
- Why did you choose to come to Ole Miss?
- I knew I would love to attend Ole Miss since I was a sophomore in high school. Every person I know who has attended Ole Miss loved it, and I knew it would be the perfect place for me! I remember coming for a tour and telling my parents that there was no need to visit another college campus! My heart was in Oxford. It is safe to say that my time here has been better than I even dreamed.
- What is your favorite place in Oxford and on campus?
- My favorite place in Oxford is Lamar park! My favorite spot on campus is the grove, I just love how open it is.
- What degree(s) are you pursuing and how do you hope it will help your career plans?
- I am pursuing a degree in Communication Sciences & Disorders and hope to attend graduate school next year. I am confident that the knowledge and experiences I have gained at Ole Miss will help me obtain my master’s degree.
- What fields do you want to work in after graduation?
- I would like to pursue a career as a Speech-Language Pathologist.
- What organizations are you apart of on campus?
- I am a Provost Scholar, an Ole Miss Women’s Council for Philanthropy Scholar, and an active member of Phi Mu Fraternity.
- What ways do you give back to the local community, university community, and your community at home?
- I love volunteering with local philanthropies here in Oxford. I enjoy helping other people and doing anything I can to benefit from it!
- What inspires you every day?
- My mother inspires me every single day! She is my best friend and I am so fortunate to have her in my life. I truly look up to her, and she is my best friend!
- If you could live anywhere in the world, where would that be?
- I would love to live in Barbados, it is beautiful and one of my favorite countries I have ever been to.